Website Illinois Power Agency
The Illinois Power Agency is seeking a Consumer Protection Counsel to work out of its Chicago office.
The IPA’s Consumer Protection Counsel position offers unmatched opportunities to work on cutting edge legal and policy issues in a rapidly evolving field, with a specific focus on ensuring that renewable energy programs administered by the Agency deliver valuable benefits to the Illinois residents and businesses who support those programs. These opportunities include work focused on the ongoing management of renewable energy incentive programs, marketing of new solar projects and community solar subscriptions benefitting from such programs, the development and refinement of consumer protection requirements (including mandated disclosures to customers), disciplinary determinations, contract development, legislative review, litigation, and administrative law.
The Consumer Protection Counsel reports to the Chief Legal Counsel, but is also expected to work closely with the Agency Director, the Deputy Legal Counsel, the Adjustable Block and Illinois Solar for All Program Managers, and outside consultants.
Job requirements include a J.D. degree and active license to practice law in Illinois (or intent to obtain such license), with prior experience in energy policy and administrative law and/or consumer protection‐related matters preferred.
The duties of the Consumer Protection Counsel include:
* Build out the scope and plan for the ongoing and day‐to‐day activities of a dedicated IPA Consumer Protection Office under the oversight of the Chief Legal Counsel and Deputy Legal
Counsel, including leveraging the expertise of other agency staff and consultants
* Assist the Director, the Chief Legal Counsel, Deputy Legal Counsel, and Program Managers in the development and preparation of consumer protection requirements applicable to firms
benefitting from state‐administered incentive funding for new solar project development
* Draft and revise customer disclosure forms, standardized statements, website content, and other educational customer‐facing information about solar transactions
* Assist the Chief Legal Counsel and Deputy Legal Counsel in litigation before the Illinois Commerce Commission, including litigation seeking approval of those requirements.
* Assist the Chief Legal Counsel in researching and formulating guidance on legal issues related to consumer protection,
* Interface with market participants regarding questions related to consumer protection issues.
* Coordinate meetings and calls across state agencies concerned with consumer protection issues, including the Office of the Attorney General and the Illinois Commerce Commission
* Work closely with third‐party program administrators on the receipt and investigation of consumer complaints and ongoing compliance with program requirements
* Draft or oversee the drafting of warning letters, disciplinary determinations, and appeal responses regarding violations of program requirements related to consumer protections
* Present to external stakeholders on the IPA’s consumer protection approach and requirements
* Represent the Director and the Agency at meetings, conferences, and other gatherings, as needed.
* Participate in agency‐level policy discussions; work directly with Agency management; gather and provide information to the Director for review; coordinate with staff and consultants in
review and analysis of agency programs to ensure policy objectives are met.
* Perform other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above.
For more information on the Illinois Power Agency, please see: www.illinois.gov/ipa.
For additional information about the expectations for this position, please see consumer protection related paragraphs found in 20 ILCS 3855/1‐75(c)(1)(M) as recently modified by Public Act 102‐0662 (the “Climate and Equitable Jobs Act”). These provisions can be found starting on page 384 of https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/102/PDF/102‐0662.pdf.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references with your online application to: https://career-hcm20.ns2cloud.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=8470&company=SILHCM20P1
The Illinois Power Agency is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Skills and Qualifications:
* A Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school and membership in good standing with the Illinois Bar (or membership in another state bar and willingness to apply for the Illinois bar within six (6) months).
* At least two (2) years of experience in the practice of law is required.
* At least two (2) years of experience on consumer protection‐related issues, or in the energy, environmental, legislative, or administrative law fields.
* Previous experience with renewable energy policy or the marketing of energy‐related products.
* Background or familiarity with key areas of Illinois law, including the Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Practices Act, the HEAT Act (Public Act 101‐0590), the Illinois Power Agency Act, and relevant provisions of the Public Utilities Act and Illinois Administrative Code
* Ability to adapt to changing priorities and work effectively within a fast‐paced, dynamic and creative environment.
The Consumer Protection Counsel is prohibited from: (i) owning, directly or indirectly, 5% or more of the voting capital stock of an electric utility, independent power producer, power marketer, or alternative retail electric supplier; (ii) being in any chain of successive ownership of 5% or more of the voting capital stock of any electric utility, independent power producer, power marketer, or alternative retail electric supplier; (iii) receiving any form of compensation, fee, payment, or other consideration from an electric utility, independent power producer, power marketer, or alternative retail electric supplier, including legal fees, consulting fees, bonuses, or other sums. These limitations do not apply to any compensation received pursuant to a defined benefit plan or other form of deferred compensation, provided that the individual has otherwise severed all ties to the utility, power producer, power marketer, or alternative retail electric supplier.
To apply for this job please visit career-hcm20.ns2cloud.com.