Website Quercus Land Stewardship Services LLC.
Quercus Land Stewardship Services, LLC. is seeking a Seasonal Full-Time Solar Vegetation Management Site Leader to work in one of 3 site locations located in Central and Southwest WI.
We are hiring four (4) Solar Vegetation Management Site Leaders for the 2023 season. The position is full-time seasonal between approximately May 1st – October 31st 2023. Highly qualified and interested individuals may be eligible for year-round employment. All work occurs first-shift Monday through Friday and generally totals 35-45 hours per week, but exact hours may be influenced by weather conditions.
Site Leaders may have some flexibility in setting their own work schedules.
bout the Position
The Solar Vegetation Management Site Leader will be responsible for performing land stewardship work at solar fields and/or other energy company properties throughout Wisconsin. Each Site Leader will be assigned to a utility-scale solar site for the duration of the growing season (May-October).
Work sites are located near the towns of:
- Edgerton and Lone Rock (utility-scale) – 1 position available
- Jefferson (utility-scale) – 1 position available
- Wisconsin Rapids (utility-scale) – 2 positions available
Site Leaders will be expected to work independently or as leader of a small crew. Site Leaders will report directly to their assigned site(s) most days in a personal vehicle. Quercus has offices located in Black Earth and Deforest, Wisconsin, site leaders may occasionally be asked to report to an office for equipment shuttling, staff training, meetings, etc.
Solar field vegetation management activities include, but are not limited to: the operation of commercial riding mowers, string trimmers, and herbicide spraying equipment among utility solar arrays and along security fences. Site leaders will have support from Solar Vegetation Management Specialists in completing these tasks, including operating and shuttling equipment as needed. Site Leaders will receive training in safe and proper use of herbicide application equipment, mowers, and power tools. They may have opportunities to receive training in ecological restoration concepts and native and invasive plant identification.
Specific Job Duties
Site Leaders will be responsible for ensuring the safety of themselves and their crew at all times. They will foster teamwork, cooperation, and professionalism among crew members. They will communicate effectively with clients, the general public, and other Quercus staff, and report issues as they arise. The majority of their time will be spent performing vegetation management tasks at solar field sites. We anticipate that their time will be divided roughly as follows:
60% – Mowing and String Trimming
- Safely operate wide-area commercial mowing equipment among solar panels and in pollinator plantings
- Perform string-trimming around solar equipment and along fences
25% – Herbicide Application
- Accurately apply herbicides via riding equipment or backpack sprayer to control invasive species
- Mix herbicide solutions to proper concentrations
- Dispense herbicide mixtures to application equipment
- Clean herbicide containers and application equipment
- Document amounts of herbicides used
10% – Equipment Maintenance and Work Reporting
- Perform basic maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of Quercus equipment
- Track work progress, report issues, and concerns to the Project Manager
5% – Meetings, Trainings, and Miscellaneous Tasks
Participate as part of the Quercus staff as assigned by supervisors
- Work safely at all times
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Conversational English skills required
- Ability to repeatedly lift up to 50 lbs / pull 75 lbs
- Perform strenuous physical labor for extended periods
- Work outdoors in all weather conditions including extreme heat, rain, full sun
- Work in difficult environmental conditions including rough terrain, wet ground, brambles, and insects
- Identify or learn native and invasive prairie plants
- Use maps and aerial photos, and portable GPS units, to determine location and work area boundaries
- Maintain awareness of location and compass directions at work sites
- Wear proper PPE as required for the job being performed at all times
- Identify job hazards and be able to conduct safety briefings
- Obtain daily job requirements from the Project Manager and communicate them to the crew
- Develop and carry out a plan for completing tasks each day
- Adapt the job plan as necessary in response to changes in job conditions or other factors
- Lead, support, and work alongside crew members as needed to complete tasks
- Operate off-road vehicles including commercial riding mower, ATV, 4-wheel drive truck
- Recognize equipment maintenance and repair needs, resolve or communicate to Project Manager
Certifications and Qualifications for the Position
Previous experience working independently and leading small crews is required
Previous experience operating and performing general maintenance of commercial mowers is preferred
- Ability to operate large (non-CDL) vehicles with trailers is preferred
- Prior certifications or ability to become certified within 30 days of hire:
- 10-hr OSHA training
- Certified Wisconsin Pesticide Applicator (6.0)
- Non-CDL DOT certification
*Quercus will pay for all necessary training and certificates
Hourly Wage: $18-20/hr based on previous experience and qualifications. Employees receive a $2/hr wage premium for the specialty work being performed at energy sites. Overtime paid over 40 hours in a week.
Solar Vegetation Management Site Leaders will receive the following benefits: (following a 30 day probationary period):
• Holiday Pay – 4 Holidays Paid (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day Indigenous People’s Day)
• Paid Time Off – 40 hours (16 sick/personal, 24 vacation). Given as a lump sum following probationary period.
• Professional Development Paid to obtain necessary certifications
Ability to increase wage based on additional certifications and longevity
Successful seasonal employees will be considered for full time permanent positions as they become available.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com