Website State of Illinois - Illinois Power Agency
The Illinois Power Agency Communications Specialist
The Illinois Power Agency (IPA) is seeking a creative and a dynamic Communications Specialist to join the Agency. The enactment of Public Act 102-0662 (also known as the “Climate and Equitable Jobs Act” or “CEJA”) presents an unique opportunity for an aspiring communications professional to join the IPA team and play a pivotal role in putting Illinois at the forefront of a clean energy future.
The IPA Communications Specialist will work under the direction of the Communications Manager on a wide range of strategic communications activities that support the ongoing development and execution of the IPA’s External Communications Plan. The IPA Communications Specialist will be responsible for developing strategic and proactive communications that align with the IPA’s vision and mission.
The IPA Communications Specialist needs to be a creative and a strategic storyteller that uses storytelling tactics to elevate the IPA’s mission and vision with internal and external audiences. The right candidate will utilize oral and written communications skills to broaden stakeholders’ understanding of the Agency and its work in supporting new renewable energy development and creating a more diverse and equitable clean energy economy. The right candidate is a self-starter and an independent thinker with the ability to balance multiple projects at a time while meeting tight deadlines, staying focused, and producing high-qualify communications work product.
- Ensure that communications are aligned with Agency’s strategic priorities, in compliance with the IPA brand standards, and support the IPA’s strategic communications goals
- Develop and implement media relations strategies for the IPA to broaden the media’s understanding of the Agency and its activities related to electricity procurement and expansion of renewable resources to support the State’s Renewable Portfolio Standard
- Manage media relations, including coordinating pitches to local and national outlets, writing press releases, arranging interviews, preparing media briefs, drafting messaging, responding to media requests and other related items
- Maintain targeted media lists, and nurture relationships with key local and trade reporters
- Assist the Communications Manager in implementing thought leadership strategies for the IPA to position the Agency as a clean energy leader in the Midwest
- Assist the Communications Manager on media training all IPA staff
- Prepare presentations, speeches, and remarks for IPA senior leadership under the direction of the IPA Communications Manager
- Prepare communications for IPA events (both in-person and virtual) such as career fairs, outreach events, seminars, conferences, etc.
- Assist the Communications Manager on IPA Power Hour Webinars, educational webinars produced by the IPA on clean energy topics and emerging issues
- Collaborate with other members of the communications team to produce the IPA’s annual report, factsheets, flyers, and quarterly newsletters
- Develop weekly news clips for all IPA staff and IPA Program Administrators
- Provide effective crisis management solutions in times of need
- Monitor and analyze the effectiveness of PR campaigns and communicate insights to senior leadership
- Work independently and/or collaboratively to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines.
Job Requirements and Qualifications
- Previous working experience as Public Relations Specialist for at least three years
- BSc/BA in PR, communications, journalism, or similar relevant field
- Hands-on experience dealing with members of the media (i.e., reporters and producers)
- Hands-on experience with a variety of different PR campaigns
- Demonstrated knowledge in copywriting and editing
- Understanding of diverse social media platforms
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Strong attention to details
- Must have thorough knowledge of AP Stylebook
- Demonstrated writing skills for a variety of audiences
- Clean energy knowledge and experience is a plus
- Submit a letter of interest, a resume or C.V., three professional writing samples of no more than 10 pages, a portfolio PDF or portfolio showing several examples of press releases, op-eds, media pitches, talking points etc.
- Please include three professional references as part of your application.
- To apply, please upload/submit all items mentioned above with your online application to: https://illinois.jobs2web.com/job-invite/14394/
About the IPA
The IPA is an independent state agency established under Illinois law in 2007. It is charged with preparing annual electricity procurement plans and managing power purchases for residential and small commercial customers of Illinois electric utilities.
The IPA is also responsible for the implementation of the Illinois Renewable Portfolio Standard (“RPS”), a state policy designed to increase the development of renewables in Illinois. Additionally, the IPA is also responsible for the development and implementation of a Carbon Mitigation Credit Procurement Plan and Zero Emission Standard Procurement Plan used to support at-risk nuclear plants.
For more information on the Illinois Power Agency, please see: www.illinois.gov/ipa
The Agency currently operates in a remote business environment due to the ongoing impact of the COVID-19 pandemic crisis.
The Illinois Power Agency is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
To apply for this job please visit illinois.jobs2web.com.